Saturday, July 27, 2013

Au Naturale


Sooooo in June of 2012, out of nowhere, I decided to "Go Natural." This news came as a shock to all my friends and family who knew how much I loveeeeed the creamy crack (perm/relaxer). When I tell you I was the major advocate for creamy crack, I am not joking. I was all about getting my edges right with some perm OKAY! haha. Well, with some inspiration from the sister of a guy I was dating at the time, I decided it was time to go Au Naturale lol. However, I didn't want to big chop my hair and get rid of it all immediately. I wasn't prepared for what I would look like with a fade haircut. So I decided the best option for me would be to transition. Transitioning basically means that I allowed my hair to continue growing without relaxing the new growth. This meant that I now would have two textures of hair. The kinky new growth and the ever so straight relaxed ends. Boy was this a journey. I've heard sooo many horror stories from people about their transition journey but mine actually wasn't that bad at all. Once I had figured out what styles my hair liked and what products it took to, everything was a breeze. One thing I did learn is that as much as all the natural hair bloggers and vloggers were VERY helpful you MUST NOT compare your hair to other women's hair. Your hair is your own. It is unique. It does what it does for you! You cannot always expect the same results as the next woman or you will end up extremely frustrated. I learned that my hair loved a good braid out and curls products. When I decided to go natural I hit up the one and only "Sallys Beauty Supply" LMFAO. I literally spent about 80 bucs on product and I didn't buy product again until after I big chopped 9 months later. Being natural saves $$$$$ trust me (haha). Above you see pictures of my journey. In the middle is a "Then and Now" picture. It was an exciting journey to natural for me. I big chopped my hair in March of 2013 and I have been loving it. I enjoy watching my hair grow and do its thing. I generally apply a "NO HEAT" rule to my hair. I just am not a fan of what heat does to hair. Nope not a fan. I even air dry lol. I love my natural hair and I encourage any women out there who want to do it to go for it!  I am currently rocking some box braids. I am all about protective styling. It is soo healthy for the hair. Any way enjoy my pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment