Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Box Braids!!

So, a few posts back I told you all how I basically grew up with braids in my hair 80 percent of the time. This trend followed me into high school and the first couple years of college. I think it was around my junior/senior year of college where I decided "NO MORE BRAIDS." It wasn't because I didn't like the way they looked or anything, it was more because I hated the process. Sitting for hours and the pain was just not worth it to me.

So anyway, you may ask yourself how did I end up back in braids if I was so over them? Well, as you may know by now, I am natural, and my natural hair is extremely tough. It is no joke. Long story short, I needed a break. I decided it was time to go back to #teamboxbraids. And let me tell you, I am loving it. No stress in the  mornings. I literally get up, throw some gel on these edges and keep it moving. It is the best feeling ever. I think I am going to be #teamboxbraids for a little while. Although, I do miss playing around with my curls.

The pictures below are of  me today with my box braids. They have been in for exactly one month now. I am planning to keep them in for another couple of weeks. The way I take care of them is by keeping them mositurized with Cantu Shea Butter Coconut milk shine and hold mist. This is something that I already use daily on my natural hair to moisturize it so my hair is already familiar with it. It is a great product and it doesn't hurt that it smells great. I honestly don't need to use it daily because it works so well that the shine and moisture usually lasts a couple days. I also use the one and only eco styler gel on my edges. I use the olive oil eco styler gel but i've heard a lot of great things about the other ones too. Aside from that all I do is oil my scalp every now and again. Oh, and most important remember to WRAP YOUR HAIR. I don't go to bed without wrapping my braids up. This means even if I'm just going to take a nap.
Anyway, enjoy :)





Hope you all enjoyed this post. Feel free to comment below! And if you have other inquiries feel free to shoot me a message in the "Talk To Jo" message box!

xoxo
Jo

"When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I would buy Vogue instead of dinner. I felt it fed me more" - Carrie Bradshaw



2 comments:

  1. Funny you posted this because I have been contemplating going back natural. I will be honest, I didn't like how course my hair was the first time. It's not that I don't like my hair, I just didn't find the dry/toughness cute on me lol. I am debating about giving it a second round since I have more options on how to soften the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss Yess, you should definitely give it a try. Like I was explaining, I also have very tough and very course hair and it tends to suck up moisture. However, this only happens when I get lazy and I don't keep up with my routine. Its all about finding a routine and sticking to it. Once you find a routine with products that your hair likes it is all a breeze from there. Don't give up. The hard part is over once the routine and the products are found. Also, for softening your hair DEEP CONDITION DEEP CONDITION DEEP CONDITION. It works miracles for our texture of hair! Your hair will be feeling like soft clouds. Thank you for commenting. I hope you continue to enjoy She's So Me. :)

      Delete