Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Green, White, Green: Nigeria Turns 53


As promised, this post is featuring my outfit of the day. Today I wore the color green in honor of my country of heritage, Nigeria, celebrating its 53rd year of independence. If you watch the news at all, I am sure you are aware of the struggles Nigeria faces as a country. However, with all these struggles and negativity also comes a beautiful land filled with beautiful people and an incomparable culture. I come from a culture that celebrates life and everything it has to offer, a culture that instills values in you that sets you apart from your peers, a culture that pushes you to be the best you that you can be and scolds you when you don't.



It means everything to me to know where I came from, and not only know where I came from but actually be familiar with the culture. I love talking to other African children and sharing our "You know you grew up in an African house when..." stories. The little things that used to annoy us about our strict African parents are the very things that made us who we are today. Hard working, strong willed, opinionated, driven, motivated individuals.

HAPPY 53RD BIRTHDAY NIGERIA!

MY PIECES

Blazer: I love my blazers. But you all already knew that about me ;)

Arm Candy: The black and gold spiked bracelet was one of my ChinaTown pickups. I miss you New York City! The gold one in the middle was a gift from my grandma and it is real gold. My grandma is pretty much awesome. The pink and gold Swarovski bracelet was a graduation gift from my lovely friend Lydia. I have pretty awesome friends and family don't I?

Riding Boots: I love the black and brown riding boot combo. I actually got these last winter but it seems like they are just as poppin' for this Fall/Winter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment